Halloumi cheese is often considered the perfect cheese to grill for several reasons:
- It has a high melting point, which means it won't melt and lose its shape when exposed to high heat, it can be cooked over a high flame without melting and falling apart.
- Halloumi cheese has a naturally salty flavour, which makes it a great addition to grilled dishes. The saltiness of the cheese is intensified when grilled, adding depth and complexity to the overall flavour profile of the dish.
- Textural contrast: Halloumi cheese has a unique texture that is both firm and slightly rubbery. When grilled, the cheese develops a crispy exterior while retaining its chewy interior, creating a textural contrast that is highly desirable in many dishes.
Grilling halloumi cheese is a simple and tasty way to add some variety to your meals. By following these steps, you can create a delicious and satisfying appetizer or side dish that is sure to impress your guests. Here's how to grill the perfect halloumi cheese:
- Slice the cheese: Start by slicing the halloumi cheese into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Preheat the grill: Preheat your charcoal grill to medium-high heat.
- Brush the cheese with oil: Brush both sides of the halloumi cheese slices with olive oil to prevent them from sticking to the grill.
- Grill the cheese: Place the cheese slices on the grill and cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown and slightly charred.
Serve and enjoy: Remove the cheese from the grill and serve hot. You can enjoy the halloumi cheese as is, or serve it with grilled vegetables or a side salad.